Isaac David- His Arrival Story


OK, here we go. The story... for all who may be interested. Anyone not interested: look at the pictures and move on to the next post for all I care! ;)

Sunday, Feb 21. I woke up at 6:30 am having contractions. But, if I were to describe them, it would be the equivalent of having monthly cramps (Im sure all the men can relate) and if I wasn't pregnant and expecting labor, it would have been a day to stay in my PJs with a heating pad and eat chocolate! I tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep through it, and decided to wake Dude up at around 8. I figured he could help me time them so that when I called my doula, Rose, I would have something of value to say!
I sent Dude to get our usual Sunday pancake breakfast started while I got in the shower. I tried to relax and distract myself, as I heard that was the best thing to do in early labor... so I shaved my legs (looking back at the full story,this is really a funny fact). Got to the kitchen by 8:20 and had Dude time my contractions as I poured the pancakes. They were about 3 minutes apart, but sometimes up to 5. I called Rose at 8:30, and she said that according to the sound of my voice (which was apparantly still quite pleasant) I was probably still in early active labor. She said that she would start getting ready and that I should keep her posted and call when I thought I was ready for her.
I called my good friend Amy, who had offered to take Scott. Expecting that I would be at home all day laboring, I told her today was the day, but to take her time and get Scott when they were ready.
Fast forward 35 minutes: By 9:10 am, I was having to breathe through my contractions, and focus on relaxing in between. I knew I needed Rose, and I also knew I needed Scott to be gone. He was so concerned for me that his daddy had to run him into the room in between contractions to give me kisses... because he stood outside my room saying "mom? ok?"... love that kid!
I asked Dude to call Rose and Amy and make sure they knew that they were needed and were at least en route. Amy was on her way, and Rose said she would be. By the time those phone calls were made, I was yelling every time I had a contraction. Dude would say "don't yell, you're supposed to be breathing and focusing". I told him there was no way I was NOT going to yell. I NEEDED to vocalize to get through it!!
At one point, I said to Dude (as I was bent over my birthing ball suffering through contractions) "i don't think I can do this". Of course, being the AWESOME support that he was, he told me of course I could, and that I was doing great. Looking back... this was me in transition. Getting SO close, and I had no idea!

Keep in mind, all of this is happening within minutes... by 9:40 Dude knew that we needed to get to the hospital when I started pushing!! I was sitting in my rocking chair at home, pushing with each contraction... and don't try to say "don't push", cause there just ISN'T a "don't push". Rose hadn't come yet, Amy had JUST arrived, and Dude was RUNNING back and forth. Giving directions, getting my things in the car, and rushing back every 1.5 minutes so that I could cling to him and I screamed and grunted! I was so delusional about my situation, that I refused to leave without the birthing ball in the car, and I reminded Dude to grab his swimming suit in case we could use their Japanese Soaking tub for some of the labor. He gathered them both, even though Im sure he could see that we wouldnt be using either of them. What a man! He totally rocked my world and was the BEST!!

9:55 am. We are in the truck (after stopping twice between the rocking chair and the car for contractions that stopped me in my tracks). I must say how grateful I am that the hospital is 2.5 minutes from our house, because in that short time, I had probably 4 contractions and my water broke. Yes, that is right... right on the seat of my husband's manly truck. Yes, we got the upholstery cleaned the very next day!
When we arrived at the hospital, I directed Dude to park on the curb (why on earth do hospitals not have valet parking?! That is a whole other blog... and a comedy routine by Brian Regan. Funny stuff, look it up) and as he helped me out of the car I stopped. I was having a contraction and I had to push. Standing in the parking lot... pushing. Who'da thought!? Luckily, an old man walking by got us a nurse and a wheelchair, and they rushed me in and pulled up the stirrups at 10:00 am

(p.s. check out the dimple... I'm blessed to have a husband with a dominant dimple gene that he is generously passing on to my adorable sons!)
The next 46 minutes are a blur. Rose arrived. The on call Dr arrived (my dr just wasnt close enough to the hospital to make it). They didn't stick one needle into me, and all they managed to get on me was a heart rate moniter taped to my toe (which at some point in between pushing I realized was there and said "what is that on my toe?") I think if I was observing myself I would have been laughing. I managed to ask questions and make jokes... WHILE giving birth!

At 10:46 am, Isaac David Bori was born via natural VBAC. The Lord blessed my body to do what needed to be done, and I felt like a total rock star! Everyone I talked to that day was told by me "I rock". I was on cloud nine! I feel so blessed to have had this experience, to have had such wonderful, supportive people around me, and to have my body do what I knew all along it could do! It was made to be a momma!! I am now surrounded by 3 sets of dimples, and can proudly say that I am in love with three men!
Isaac David Bori
2-21-10
7 lbs 12 oz 20.5 inches

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Incredible story - terrific daddy - amazing momma - gorgeous boy! Sounds like a transformational day. Just love the pictures, too. So much emotion in each and every one. Congratulations!

Bonny said...

What a story!

I love the pictures. They are so beautiful.

Bonny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally Stevens said...

So thrilled for your wonderful birth!

The French Family said...

Well you are amazing and have inspired me to think about going all natural for this baby in my tummy. Congrats on doing such a great job!!!

Reid Family said...

Great story! You are amazing! I too am in love with three men! It's so great isn't it?! Can't wait to see Isaac in person! Congrats!

Kat said...

Amazing birth story! You should feel like a rockstar! Way to do it on your own girl!! Can't wait to see you this weekend and catch up